The College of Arts and Sciences aspires to be nationally recognized for its exemplary and innovative educational experiences across the humanities, the sciences, and the arts.
The College of Arts and Sciences challenges its faculty and students to:
- become disciples of Jesus Christ who live by the truth, justice and peace.
- pioneer advising, teaching, learning, and mentoring strategies that emphasize collaboration to optimize student development in all education contexts.
- develop and maintain a range of effective programs responsive to the needs of the region.
- stand for the four advocacies of the University: peace education, social responsiblity, pro-life and environmental stewardship.
- meet high standards of academic excellence, develop their creativity, and increase their civic engagement.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ENGLISH AND THEATER ARTS
Started in 2006
The Bachelor of Arts Major in English and Theater Arts is a four year program designed to form Paulinian men and women who can significantly contribute to the growth and development of theater arts, teaching and learning English as a second language in the Philippines and in other parts of the world.
The AB English and Theater Arts program aims to develop:
1. PRO-ACTIVE PAULINIANS who incorporate in their daily lives the SPU Iloilo Vision-Mission as well as the values of Christ-centeredness, Charity, Charism, Community and Commission;
2. COMPETENT PROFFESIONALS who are advocates of multilingualism and of Filipino culture and arts;
3. INTELLIGENT AND COMPASSIONATE individuals who are committed to academic and cultural growth and development so they may help uplift the lives of those who are marginalized;
4. PAULINIAN FORMATORS who use language, culture and the arts as vehicles in preaching the gospel values and in creating a Christ-centered society;
5. SERVANT LEADERS who are catalysts of progress in various communities throughout the world.
Started in 2005
The Bachelor of Science in Biology Program aims to graduate Paulinian men and women of high integrity with excellent knowledge and skills that will enable them to lovingly serve God and their fellowmen in the practice of their profession. It aims to produce Biologists:
1. who are ROOTED in faith, hope and love of God;
2. with DEEP RESPECT for all forms of life and integrity;
3. who VALUE AND TAKE CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT and its inhabitants;
4. with HIGH LEVEL OF SOCIAL AWARENESS, competence, and humility who will restore God’s creation and will lead them their proper end;
5. who are COMMITTED TO SERVE the community, with selfless and concern for the marginalized to alleviate poverty;
6. who are RESPONSIVE AND EFFECTIVE WITNESSES to the needs of society;
7. who are DETERMINED in the endless pursuit of truth, justice, and love with fervent adherence to the truth.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MASS COMMUNICATION
Started in 1975
The Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication Program aims to graduate Filipino Paulinian men and women with sufficient knowledge and skills that will enable them to practice their profession as committed Christian communicators competently and effectively. It aims to produce:
1. CONFIDENT and WELL–INTEGRATED CHRISTIAN COMMUNICATORS with a deep sense of respect for human dignity and self-worth;
2. SOCIALLY AWARE, COMPETENT, AND HUMBLE PROFESSIONALS whose broadened knowledge of the socio-psychological aspect of human existence offers solution to societal problems and makes use of mass communication tools to narrow the gap between the rich and poor;
3. COURAGEOUS, BEARERS OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE whose principles are rooted in the Gospel using media of social communication to liberate the poor from the oppressive structures of society with sensitivity and without compromise;
4. RESPONSIVE, EFFECTIVE WITNESSES AND AGENTS OF SOCIAL CHANGE with inquisitive minds, utilizing communication research findings to upgrade the academe and enhance its services toward personal human development and community building.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PSYCHOLOGY
Started in 2006
The Bachelor of Science major in Psychology is designed to provide students with a comprehensive foundation in the discipline of Psychology, from the theoretical approaches to the scientific basis of psychology. The primary focus of the degree is to provide the foundation for a practitioner-oriented career in a helping profession and who desire to maintain broad career flexibility. Graduates holding this degree may choose a career in many fields including human services, human resource development, sales, law enforcement, opinion research, child care, and counseling which requires a scientific background.
The program aims to:
1. ENSURE AWARENESS of the nature, origin, history, and scope of the Psychology as a discipline and its relationship with other sciences;
2. PRESENT DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE in Psychology in order to study, understand, and explain its subject matter;
3. INCREASE AWARENESS OF RESEARCH METHODS used in the study of Psychology and develop a scientific approach to the subject;
4. KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE APPLICATION AND PRACTICE of Psychology in real life and have all the necessary skills to achieve professional qualifications